I’ve always had this obsession with trying to be a well-rounded human. My definition of a well-rounded person has, of course, changed and evolved as I have grown into who I am, but mostly it just never stop learning and improving.
That being said, this next month I am taking a break from both jobs that claim me 7 days a week and my graduate night classes. I’m going upstate to Western New York for an entire month, so I have set up a number of things I want to do. I’m really looking forward to take the time to work on me.
1. Get back in shape. Working and being pretty busy has distracted me from my own well-being. I’m going to focus on eating the right things and working out on a regular basis. I need to get back into the habit of making my health a priority. I’ve stopped cooking and have resorted to take-out because of its convenience. That is going to change. I LOVE to cook. I’m taking all my cook books home with me. My father and I are going to enjoy home cooked meals!!!
2. Read. Read. Read. There is nothing more frustrating than craving a good book but knowing you don’t have time to read the books assigned for class and the ones you crave. I have a list of books I want to read as long as Santa’s naughty list! I cannot wait!!
3. Work on my career. I am pretty young for a graduate student. I love school, but it can only do so much in terms of real world experience, networking and social media. I’ve created a Twitter (@SarahRyck) a few weeks ago and I am working on building a PR network. I have met so many nice people who are willing to mentor a newbie. I want to be involved, start conversations, learn about PR and continue to meet wonderful people.
4. Write. If I had to choose one thing as my passion I would say writing. I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was in first grade. My father used to have to take all the notebooks and pens out of my room when it was time for bed otherwise I would be up all night writing elaborate stories and diary entries. Lately, I’ve fallen out of the practice of writing every day.
5. Enjoy my friends and family. Being so far away, I haven’t spent nearly as much time as I’d like catching up with my friends and family back home. I’m really excited to take this opportunity to spend some time with them.
6. Zen. I’m really interested in learning more about being Zen and Buddhism things like meditation. Being so busy can sometimes mix up my priorities. I’d love to learn to be more aware. Right now, I am completely clueless, but it is something that interests me.
Those are just a few examples. I am going to be busy back at home, just busy in a different way. I’m uber excited!